THE NAMES OF GOD
Some of God’s Names in the Old Testament declaring His character:
Exodus 34: “6 The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, 7 keeping steadfast love for thousands (of generations!), forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.” 8 And Moses quickly bowed his head toward the earth and worshiped.
Jehovah Jireh – “the Lord will provide”: Genesis 22:14 Abraham called the place where God provided the ram as a substitute for his son, “the Lord will provide.” Ultimately God provided the way for our relationship to be restored through His Son, the perfect spotless lamb who died in our place. God will provide for all of our needs through our relationship with Jesus.
Jehovah Rophe – “I Am your Healer” Exodus 15:26 After the Lord led Moses and the Hebrews through the red sea, they found no water in the wilderness but bitter water. At God’s direction, Moses through a log, a symbol of the cross, in the water that made it sweet – the bitterness of death became sweet because it was healed. God heals us physically, emotionally, and spiritually through Jesus Christ and by the Holy Spirit.
Jehovah Nissi – “Jehovah my Banner (my Victory)” Exodus 17:15 Moses and the Hebrew nation gained victory over the Amelekites through God’s grace in the outstretched arms of Moses. God has given us victory over death and the grave and promises to lead us into victory in this life through Jesus.
Jehovah M’kaddesh – “The Lord Who Sanctifies” Leviticus 20:8 God is reviewing the issue of sin with Moses so that he will understand God’s holiness. God commands Moses, “Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the Lord, who makes you holy.” (NIV) God is holy and we must be holy as well. Through Christ and the Spirit, God breaks the power of sin in my life and helps me to become holy and grow in the character of Jesus.
Jehovah Shalom – “The Lord is Peace” Judges 6:24 As the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon to make him bold and call him to do great things for God. God has called us to live victorious lives and has given us peace with Him through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Jehovah Rohi – “the Lord is my Shepherd” Psalm 23 As God spoke to King David while he shepherded his father’s sheep, our Heavenly Father leads us, protects us and cares for us through the good shepherd, Jesus.
Jehovah Tsidkenu – “Jehovah Our Righteousness” Jeremiah 23:5,6 As Isaiah prophesied and saw the coming Messiah who would take away the sins of the world and restore us to God, God sees me as completely righteous because of the blood of Jesus Christ, the final, perfect sacrifice.
Jehovah Shammah – “Jehovah is There” Ezekiel 48:35 As Ezekiel prophesied and saw the beauty of the city of God and God’s presence with His people, we see that God is always with us, dwelling in us by His Holy Spirit through our relationship with Jesus; He will never leave us or forsake us.
The 8 I AM Statements of Jesus
- The Great “I AM” – 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple. John 8:58-59
- I am the Bread of Life – who alone satisfies (John 6:35)
- I am the Light of the World – through whom we walk in the light of life (John 8:12)
- I am the Gate – through who all men are saved (John 10:9)
- I am the Good Shepherd – who lays down His life for the sheep (John 10:11)
- I am the Resurrection and the Life – who gives eternal life (John 11:25-26)
- I am the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6)
- I am the Vine – if we remain in Him, we bear much fruit, apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5)
The Names of the Holy Spirit in Scripture *
- The Holy Spirit Psalm 51:11, Luke 11:13, Ephesians 1:13, 4:30
- The Good Spirit Nehemiah 9:20; Psalm 143:10
- The Spirit of the Living God Acts 5:3-4 Genesis 1:2, 1 Corinthians 2:11, Job 33:4, 2 Cor 3:3
- Spirit of Jesus Christ, the Son of God Romans 8:9, 1 Peter 1:11, Galatians 4:6
- Breath of The Almighty Job 33:4
- Helper, Counselor & Comforter John 14:16,26; 15:26
- Intercessor Romans 8:26
- Spirit of Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel and Might Isaiah 11:2
- Eternal Spirit Hebrews 9:14
- Willing and Generous Spirit Psalm 51:12
- The Spirit of the Lord and the Spirit of Freedom 2 Corinthians 3:16-17, Acts 5:9
- Power of the Highest Luke 1:35
- Spirit of Might Isaiah 11:2
- Spirit of Adoption Romans 8:15
- Spirit of Fire and Purification Isaiah 4:4
- Spirit of Judgment Isaiah 4:4, 28:6
- Spirit of Glory 1 Peter 4:14
- Spirit of YHWH, (Spirit of the Lord Yahweh, the Great I AM) Isaiah 11:2, Isaiah 61:1
- Spirit of Grace Zechariah 12:10, Hebrews 10:29
- Spirit of Knowledge Isaiah 11:2
- Spirit of Truth John 14:17, 15:26
- Spirit of Life Romans 8:2
- Spirit of Understanding Isaiah 11:2
- Spirit of Wisdom Isaiah 11:2, Ephesians 1:17
- Spirit of Prophecy Revelation 19:10
- Spirit of the Father Matthew 10:20
- Spirit of the Fear of the Lord Isaiah 11;2
- Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation in the knowledge of Christ Ephesians 1:17
* (Names of the Holy Spirit adapted from Rose Book of Bible Charts, Volume 2, Pages 111-112)